Happy Meatless Monday friends!
Today with much excitement I bring you: the falafel burger! Put away those judgmental looks, and just hear me out.
1. It was delicious, really. Loaded with flavor, and no raw meat to deal with when preparing dinner.
2. That meat-loving man I heart said these were, “pretty good” and it actually pained him to say this. Really, he looked like I was sucker punching his spleen while those two words escaped his mouth.
3. This dinner is done from start to finish in 15 minutes.
Are you sold yet? Well we haven’t even gotten to the tzatziki sauce! It’s a Greek sauce, that usually involves yogurt and cucumbers, and some garlic. It’s light, super refreshing, and goes so well in these little pockets of fun.
I know after my delicious carne asada filled weekend, I could use a little break away from the in-depth dinner preparation, and enjoy a simple meal ready in 15 minutes.
|Prep time||5 minutes|
|Cook time||8 minutes|
|Total time||13 minutes|
- FOR THE BURGER PATTIES
- 1 can garbonzo beans (drained & rinsed )
- 1/2 cup edamame (cooked)
- 1 carrot (grated )
- 1/4 cup purple onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon each: garlic powder, pepper, onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- FOR THE BURGERS
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 whole wheat pitas or buns
- 1/2 cup Tzatziki sauce (or your favorite condiment)
- 4 roman leaves
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1/2 cup purple onion, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
An amazing healthy vegetarian pita or burger that is ready in 15 minutes from start to finish! Topped with all the fixin's and tzatziki sauce.
|In a large bowl combine all the ingredients for the falafel patties. Mash with a fork, and break up most of the beans, but leave chunky pieces too. |
Form into burger patties.
|Heat a skillet over medium heat, and spray with cooking spray. Place burger patties in skillet, and cook about 4 minutes per side. Spray tops with cooking spray, and flip. Add cheese, and cook another 4 minutes until patties are heated and cheese is melty.|
|In a pita or on a bun, add tzatziki sauce, burger, lettuce, tomato, onions, and avocado. Enjoy with sweet potato fries!|
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.